Workgroup vs. Enterprise on NT: A Difference?

From: Fred Puhan <fjp_at_his.com>
Date: 1996/05/01

We've been running both Oracle 7.1 Workgroup and Oracle 7.1 Enterprise (sorry, no rev numbers available at this posting) on identical Compaq Proliant machines, both running Windows NT-AS 3.5.1 and have noticed a substantial difference in performance between the two. Oracle has stated that there should be no appreciable difference, since the two products use the same kernel (I agree). So what's causing the difference?

We've loaded identical databases, identical apps (we're a software developer), and have verified the components in each machine. To Oracle's credit, they state that a difference "may be caused" by variances in the release versions, but really -- twice the speed delta between identical processes? I don't think so.

Any ideas?

| fjp_at_his.com ||| "If it sounds good, it IS good." -- Duke Ellington |