Re: PGA Memory Leak

From: Chandra Chakicherla <compros_at_erols.com>
Date: 1996/04/29

Doug Wigley <kf0us_at_ltec.net> wrote:

>Please let me know what a 'MEMORY LEAK' is
>and/or how it applies to my Oracle database when I have trace
>files showing 'PGA memory leak detected'
>PLEASE!!!
>The short version would be fine.

>wigley_at_ltec.net

A memory leak is:

Programs request Operating Systems for some Memory (ALLOC) for its own use which they later on FREE up. Sometimes Programs do not free up the memory that was given to them by the OS, which means that every time they run the 'forget' to give back some of their memory to the OS. Over several executions this 'drain' in memory causes a LEAK and OS runs out of free memory.

Chandra Chakicherla
Database Consultant
compros_at_erols.com Received on Mon Apr 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message