Re: Developer 2000 weak points??

From: Chris Fischer <cfischer_at_nando.net>
Date: 1996/04/23

Rick Rutt <rrutt_at_delphi.com> wrote:

>Also try one or more other development environments;
>one that provides many of the application capabilities that Forms provides
>is Microsoft Access. A more 3GL/less 4GL environment is Microsoft's
>Visual Basic.

Now hang on a second. If I wanted to write a database transactional application in VB, I'd spend days writing hundreds of lines of code just to do some simple updates, inserts and deletes. Not to mention a query-by-example type of form. Beyond that, if someone new started, I'd have to teach them PL/SQL for triggers and stored procedures, and then teach them VB to write the front end stuff. The thing that amazes me about our VB developer is that he is always writing lots of code. Now explain to me how that is more "4GL" than declarative master-detail relationships in forms?

| Chris Fischer                           cfischer_at_nando.net |
| Sr. Systems Analyst                    Work: (919)676-0062 |
| Toys "R" Us                                                |