Re: Developer 2000 weak points??

From: David M. Taulbee <dtaulbee_at_po.michsb.trw.com>
Date: 1996/04/23

Jerry Gillard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're considering Developer 2000 for our development tool working with Oracle Databases. Some of my associates
> are not overly excited about Oracle tools because of their weak track record in this area. However, I think
> Oracle may have a good product here but am not hearing much about it.
>
> From those of you who use it, is it reasonably fast and usable when deployed (not developed) on 8mb pcs? Are
> there any downsides you could throw at me since Oracle has shown me the shiny side?
>
> TIA
>
> Jerry

The key concern we have had is the speed at which the form executables are initiated from the network. Which is to say, runform executable and form executables are stored on the network. When users go to startup, it takes 1-2 minutes from clicking the icon to first field on a screen (Users have 486/33 w/12M). Data queries are very fast, and to move to the next screen is also very quick. Some of the things we have done for performance include specifying local working and temporary directories, and a permanent Windows 3.x swap space of at least 20M.

When running the forms from a machine with all executables on the PC. Start up times where reduced down to 20-40 seconds. Processor speed did not seem to make a great deal of difference. (Although P5-133 w/32M development machine with forms loaded on the C drive seldom takes more than 20 seconds)

--

David M. Taulbee
TRW Vehicle Safety Systems