Re: MTS

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/04/23

Balakrishna Avula wrote:

> "R.A. van Geleuken" <roald_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> >Alan Corbett wrote:

...snip...

> >How about logging on with SQL*Net? I think that if you connect from the same
> >machine, you get a dedicated server anyway (at least I do on our machine).
>
> You need to setup SQL* Net if you want to use MTS. You can better
> performace for batch programs by using dedicated server processes. You
> can user dedicated server processes by using TWO_TASK variable or by
> using SRVR=DEDICATED in connect string.

Be careful using the SRVR=DEDICATED line in your connect string. At least on HP-UX, we saw performance worse than using the shared server for batch jobs when we put this line in the connect string. However, we got much improved performance (about 50%) by creating a '.sqlnet.ora' file in an account's login directory (note the leading dot '.') with one line: use_dedicated_server=on. I thought that both changes should produce the same effect, but that's not what we saw.

--
Brian M. Biggs                             mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.                       voice: (513) 677-7661