Re: Tunning & DBA SQLs

From: Torben Bach Pedersen <tbp_at_kmd.dk>
Date: 1996/04/23

Paul Osborn wrote:

> Klaus Schnurr <kschnurr_at_primenet.com> wrote:
>
> >We are using Oracle Server 7.1 (running under Solaris 2.4) in a
> >semiconductor manufacturing environment. Users are mainly using the
> >database for data analysis purposes which requires intensive data
> >queries. However, deploying the database and the front-end tools within
> >a client-server environment revealed very soon the limitations of the
> >systems. One user can bring system down to its knees by running an
> >extremely complex query which consumes all the system resources. The
> >users are connecting via the Sequelink middleware product from Intersolv
> >to the database. Now, I have the following questions:

> >1. Is there any way, within Oracle or UNIX, to restrict the available
> >system and oracle resources which are available for a requested
> >instance?

> >2. Can Oracle restrict the number of rows a query can return to the user
> >(i.e. trapping "run-away" queries)

> >3. Does anybody know of Oracle SQL statements which would allow to
> >monitor the database performance?
>
> For a suite of SQL statements that allow you to monitor Oracle see:
>
> [warning: self promotion on]
>
> http//www.menlosoftware.com/
>
> [self promotion off]
>
> Regards,
> PaulHi Klaus !

I think you should have at look at the PROFILE facilities in Oracle. They allow you to restrict resource comsumption on factors such as CPU time, logical I/O's etc. or combinations of these, on a session or call basis.

Torben Bach Pedersen
Data Administrator
Kommunedata I/S
Denmark Received on Tue Apr 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message