Re: Moving tables from Access to Oracle

From: Peter Hansen <peter_at_engcorp.com>
Date: 1996/04/19

In <qSnnaLAXL$cxEwJx_at_starbug1.demon.co.uk>, Steve Kay <steve_at_starbug1.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Anybody have any advice on the process of moving Access tables over
>to Oracle tables?
>
>We've got a load of tables which need moving over, but Microsoft tell
>us that once a table has been created in Access, its SQL definition
>is lost and therefore has to be recreated manually in Oracle.
>
>Any ideas or solutions for this bummer of a job?

(Sorry if this is redundant but my news feed is terrible and I won't see more timely responses for a few more days... :( )

There's a possibility that Lotus Approach (perhaps only the new 32-bit version) could help. I just saw the second half of a demo of it last night and it apparently can read a very large variety of different databaes formats _natively_ (i.e. without ODBC or using a server or anything funky). *If* one of those formats includes Access' format, then you should be able to use this product to get the data into Oracle since the latter is apparently supported (I saw the menu items myself). Approach can graphically show the structure and connections between tables and if it can apply that ability to the Access databases, you may not only get a data converter, but also a graphical tool for managing the structure.

I intend to check this out further myself with respect to DBF format files and how to work between them and Oracle. Other suggestions are welcome.

 Peter HANSEN                                     Engenuity Corporation
 peter_at_engcorp.com                              Guelph, Ontario, Canada
 http://www.engcorp.com/peter/