Re: Moving tables from Access to Oracle

From: Olsen <cmad_at_sisna.com>
Date: 1996/04/19

Also, speaking of UPPERCASE, Unless some one knows a trick that I'm not aware of, be sure to name your TABLE and the TABLE COLUMN names using UPPERCASE. If you don't have uppercase column names, you can't reference them. If you don't have an uppercase table name, you can't reference the table, nor drop it! (using the standard drop command anyway)

frozzboz_at_zork.demon.co.uk wrote:

>Steve Kay <steve_at_starbug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Anybody have any advice on the process of moving Access tables over
>>to Oracle tables?
>>
>>We've got a load of tables which need moving over, but Microsoft tell
>>us that once a table has been created in Access, its SQL definition
>>is lost and therefore has to be recreated manually in Oracle.
>>
>>Any ideas or solutions for this bummer of a job?

>Not so, why just the other day I loaded a load of tables into Access
>from SQL Server, then exported them to Oracle, including data.

>After lunch I reverse engineed them into Designer 2000 for subsequant
>re-design. Note that the primary/foreign keys will not be transferred,
>but they should be easy to re construct.

>You have to be aware that the datatypes may require adjusting in
>Access to work in Oracle, and to rename the table to get them into
>UPPERCASE.

>>Thanks,

 Thats O
>>Steve Kay.
>>d- s+ a- US++ p-- w x++ b++ DI++++ G e* h--

Gary R. Olsen
Salt Lake City, Utah

cmad_at_sisna.com (H)
gary.olsen_at_pacificorp.com (W) Received on Fri Apr 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message