Re: Forms TIP: DATE items & Order By special feature

From: <dmoyer_at_gpu.com>
Date: 1996/04/19

In <4l6n0p$hie_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, stevec5088_at_aol.com (Stevec5088) writes:
>When you use an Oracle date column in an Order By clause,
>the Oracle server ignores the time portion of the date. To
>include the time, you need to do this:
> Order by To_Char(date_itm,'YYYYMMDDHHMISS')
>
>This feature is only available in Forms. (I'm using version
>4.5.6.0.7). In SQL/Plus, the time is included in the sort,
>even without the extra To_Char function.
>
>I think this is about the best hidden feature in Forms, yet ;-)
>
>Or am I missing something here? If I should be doing something
>differently, could someone please help me out?
>
>Regards,
>Steve Cosner

We are using date sort in our forms and have a time portion in the date field. If the field is of type date you may be correct. But, ours are set to datetime fields and sort properly. I know for sure that when you have a date type field and try to write it to the DB it truncates the time.

D. Scott Moyer, Jr.                        dmoyer_at_gpu.com (work)
GPU Service Corporation                dsmoyer_at_enter.net (home)
Reading, PA Received on Fri Apr 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message