Re: Oracle/ODBC and TP monitor

From: Gary Long <garyl_at_magna.com>
Date: 1996/04/16

Hugo --

I will try to explain the role of middleware, such as a TPM, a little more clearly.

From: "Hugo Toledo, Jr." <hugo_at_mcs.net>

>Gary Long wrote:
>> >From: "Hugo Toledo, Jr." <hugo_at_mcs.net>

>> >Regardless of ODBC, you can only talk to a remote Oracle7 server through
>> >SQL*Net. You are correct that several hundred sessions may be going into
>> >an Oracle server. However, if you are running the multithreaded server
>> >you will not have several hundred SQL*Net server processes running at the
>> >listener.
>>
>> This is very misleading. It may be true for ODBC, I don't know. But in
>> general it is NOT true. By using various kinds of middleware, TP Monitors
>> and otherwise, processes on clients can invoke processes on servers. The
>> server processes can use any DBMS they wish, including Oracle. SQL*Net is
>> *not* always required -- it is one of many options!
>
>An application cannot be written to reliably and securely communicate with
>the Oracle7 server unless it uses an Oracle API. Such APIs, OCI for
>example, require SQL*Net to communicate with remote Oracle servers in a
>standard, approved form. If not through SQL*Net, then how? Without
>SQL*Net how do you support other Oracle functionality which relies
>on TNS technology?

Of course programs talk to Oracle thru an Oracle API. Any one of the several you mention.

But one program can talk to another via middleware. RPCs, pipes, sockets, TP Monitors, messaging ... whatever. Using Oracle OCI and a TPM as an example, you can have:

	Client                  Server
	Program  <=== TPM ===>  Program --OCI-- Database
	(box 1)                         (box 2)

So I agree, talk to Oracle thru a supported API of your choice. BUT that doesn't mean I have to use Oracle to have one of my programs talk to another.

This absolutely works, and works very well. Our Application Generator has been used to create large 3-tier applications using this method, and they are in production all over the world.

>Gary, you guys don't by any chance sell your own TPM technology do you? ;)
>
>Hugo Toledo, Jr. Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press

Absolutely not. With Encina, Tuxedo, Top End, CICS/6000 (etc.) on the market the world does not need another one! :-)

  • Gary

PS: Nothing against SQL*Net. We use it ourselves when we want to do

    2-tier, works like a charm.

Gary Long                                                glong_at_magna.com
Vice President, Product Development
Magna Software Corporation                           Phone: 703/222-3500
12450 Fair Lakes Circle                                Fax: 703/222-8433
Fairfax, Virginia 22033

Technical data on "MAGNA X" CS/TP Application Generator: info_at_magna.com Received on Tue Apr 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message