Re: Connecting to ops$ account

From: Peter H. Larsen <petlars_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/04/14

I>> > : Is it possible to connect to an ops$ account from within SQL*Plus

>> > : given that I'm logged on as another user. For example, I'm logged
>> > : on as dba, I enter SQL*Plus and connect as SYSTEM and now want to
>> > : connect as ops$fred. How can I do this without exiting SQL*Plus?

Only if you know the Guys password. Even OPS$ accounts have RDBMS passwords. But as a DBA - why would you want to CONNECT to the user-account? If you have all *ANY* privlilegdes, the only thing you can't do, is GRANTs ... ?

>> > If you are on UNIX you must escape $ character:
>> > connect OPS\$FRED/OPS\$FRED

Not from within SQL*Plus. Only from command line. And even so - why do you assume, that the OPS$FRED has the password OPS$FRED? At the sites I create, the OPS$ account usual have a very nonsens password, because it's never needed besides from the OS-user that uses the account.

>This is wrong. On Unix, you will need to escape the $ only at the
>Unix shell level (where it would be evaluated), not at the sqlplus
>level. So connect ops$fred/passwd will work. Remember to specify
>the instance if it differs from $ORACLE_SID.

Excatly. But I don't thing, the question where about different SID's.

Peter H. Larsen             Email: Petlars_at_ibm.net
Complete Data Service       Fidonet: 2:235/134.0

Happy Computing Received on Sun Apr 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message