Re: moving from tablespace a to tablespace b

From: Saad Ahmad <sahmad_at_mfa.com>
Date: 1996/04/12

Chris Wasser (chrisw_at_astragalus.CNR.colostate.edu) wrote:
> If I am the DBA for my database how do I move a set of ~100 tables from
> one tablespace to another. They are all my tables.
> Each time I try it, import tries to reload them into the old tablespace,
> eventhough I've changed my default tablespace to the new tablespace and
> removed the unlimited tablespace priviledge. I don't want to drop the
> old tables until I am sure that they have been imported into the new
> tablespace.
If u don't drop the table, where do u want the data imported to ....? You could import the tables into a different schema, if u want to be on a really safe side. For the same schema, a table X cannot exist in 2 different tablespaces.
You should create the tables in the tablespace of your choice and run import with IGNORE (i think) flag set to 'Y'. (It might be some other flag but the flag basically tells import not to create table if it already exists).

*                          Saad Ahmad                        *
*                          Senior Software Engineer          *
*                          McHugh Freeman & Associates, Inc. *
*                          Ph:  (414) 798-7457               *
*                          Fax: (414) 798-8619               *
*                          E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com            *