Re: Need help on getting Operating System User name

From: Ken Denny <kedenny_at_mail.concentric.net>
Date: 1996/04/12

csmanne_at_knuth.mtsu.edu (Mr. Rao Mannepalli) wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am working on Oracle 7.1, SQL*FORMS 3.0 on sco unix. In one of the forms,
>I am trying to get Operating System "logname" (login name). I used "select
>user from dual'. But it gives me the oracle user name. Is there any function
>which gets the logname.
>
>Thanks in advance
>

>--
>Rao N. Mannepalli e-mail: csmanne_at_knuth.mtsu.edu
>TDS Group Inc
>Nashville, TN
>(615)731-7239

Rao,
 I don't know about Forms 3.0 as I am using 4.0 but I needed to do the same thing. At first I was going to use a user_exit to get it, but later decided to use a different approach. Since I am running the Forms application from a shell script, I changed my script to include: unixid=`whoami` in the string run f40runm. Then in my form I access :parameter.unix and it has the unix user id. Of course, since the form calls other forms which also need it, I move it into a :global in the when_new_form_instance trigger.

Hope this helps

Ken Denny

--

 /|  /

If my employer had an opinion, I'm sure it would be different from any of
mine.