Re: Oracle/ODBC and TP monitor

From: Hugo Toledo, Jr. <hugo_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/04/10

Gary Long wrote:

> >From: "Hugo Toledo, Jr." <hugo_at_mcs.net>
> >Subject: Re: Oracle/ODBC and TP monitor
> >Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 00:36:43 -0500
> >
> >John Moriarty wrote:
> >>
> >> In an Oracle environment with ODBC running on the client how does
> >> Oracle handle the situation of several hundred clients connected
> >> to it at the same time? It would seem to be an awful lot of
> >> SQL*Net sessions running on a server. Do they have a concept
> >> of a Transaction Process Monitor or something like it? Do they
> >> suggest something else?
> >
> >Regardless of ODBC, you can only talk to a remote Oracle7 server through
> >SQL*Net. You are correct that several hundred sessions may be going into
> >an Oracle server. However, if you are running the multithreaded server
> >you will not have several hundred SQL*Net server processes running at the
> >listener.
>
> This is very misleading. It may be true for ODBC, I don't know. But in
> general it is NOT true. By using various kinds of middleware, TP Monitors
> and otherwise, processes on clients can invoke processes on servers. The
> server processes can use any DBMS they wish, including Oracle. SQL*Net is
> *not* always required -- it is one of many options!

An application cannot be written to reliably and securely communicate with the Oracle7 server unless it uses an Oracle API. Such APIs, OCI for example, require SQL*Net to communicate with remote Oracle servers in a standard, approved form. If not through SQL*Net, then how? Without SQL*Net how do you support other Oracle functionality which relies on TNS technology?

> >To use the library, applications are built using Oracle's Call Interface
> >(OCI).
>>
> Or E/SQL or whatever. The OCI is just one option.

Again, OCI is the best means, performance-wise, of interacting with Oracle technology in a reliable and safe manner. I certainly wouldn't recommend Pro*C for the highest throughput in most cases. On the other hand, Pro*C is certainly much more manageable for the typical development environment.

> Gary Long glong_at_magna.com
> Vice President, Product Development
> Magna Software Corporation Phone: 703/222-3500
> 12450 Fair Lakes Circle Fax: 703/222-8433
> Fairfax, Virginia 22033
>
> Technical data on "MAGNA X" CS/TP Application Generator: info_at_magna.com

Hey, Gary, you guys don't by any chance sell your own TPM technology do you? ;)

--
Hugo Toledo, Jr.   Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
312.951.8012               Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents