Re: Oracle/ODBC and TP monitor

From: Gary Long <garyl_at_magna.com>
Date: 1996/04/10

>From: "Hugo Toledo, Jr." <hugo_at_mcs.net>
>Subject: Re: Oracle/ODBC and TP monitor
>Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 00:36:43 -0500
>
>John Moriarty wrote:
>>
>> In an Oracle environment with ODBC running on the client how does
>> Oracle handle the situation of several hundred clients connected
>> to it at the same time? It would seem to be an awful lot of
>> SQL*Net sessions running on a server. Do they have a concept
>> of a Transaction Process Monitor or something like it? Do they
>> suggest something else?
>
>Regardless of ODBC, you can only talk to a remote Oracle7 server through
>SQL*Net. You are correct that several hundred sessions may be going into
>an Oracle server. However, if you are running the multithreaded server
>you will not have several hundred SQL*Net server processes running at the
>listener.

This is very misleading. It may be true for ODBC, I don't know. But in general it is NOT true. By using various kinds of middleware, TP Monitors and otherwise, processes on clients can invoke processes on servers. The server processes can use any DBMS they wish, including Oracle. SQL*Net is *not* always required -- it is one of many options!

>In such cases, the Oracle7 server is functioning as the transaction
>process monitor for the purpose of supporting distributed updates on that
>server. Each other server autonomously handles the distributed updates on
>its own databases. There is such as thing as the commit point. This is
>the server which has the final say on committing or rolling back then
>entire distributed update, but, effectively, each server is autonomous.

Yes, Oracle server is starting to incorporate many of the techniques pioneered by TPMs. This is not to say -- on way or the other -- that it is the best choice if you want a TP Monitor's functionality.

>Oracle7 can coexist with several TPM technologies such as Encina, Tuxedo,
>etc. Oracle's XA library provides the software hooks required to tightly
>couple Oracle7 applications to X/Open Distributed Transaction Processing
>(DTP) XA interface compliant technologies.

This is correct. We have tested Oracle XA with both Encina and Tuxedo. Oracle has gone to a lot of work to build the interface to TPMs (and wouldn't have done so without good reason).

>To use the library, applications are built using Oracle's Call Interface
>(OCI).
Or E/SQL or whatever. The OCI is just one option.

>Hope this helps.
>--
>Hugo Toledo, Jr. Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press

Back to John Moriarity's original question ... how to handle several hundred users going against an Oracle database. Certainly a TPM (or other middleware) is a viable option that should be considered. They can do a lot to boost performance. That is why the DBMS vendors often use one when doing a TPC-C benchmark (you won't see it unless you get the full disclosure).

  • Gary
Gary Long                                                glong_at_magna.com
Vice President, Product Development
Magna Software Corporation                           Phone: 703/222-3500
12450 Fair Lakes Circle                                Fax: 703/222-8433
Fairfax, Virginia 22033

Technical data on "MAGNA X" CS/TP Application Generator: info_at_magna.com Received on Wed Apr 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message