Solved: db creation failed: unable to attach to default host

From: Ofer Inbar <cos_at_elbereth.leftbank.com>
Date: 1996/04/10

On Tue Apr 2 18:35:59 1996, I wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Oracle 7.2 on a SPARC5 running Solaris 2.4
 [...]
> About halfway through the installation, I got a dialog box saying:
> ------------------------------ DB Failure -----------------------------+
> | |
> | Database creation appears to have failed. Select [Yes] if you |
> | would like to continue with the installation (software only) for |
> | the rest of the selected products. Select [No] to abort |
 [...]
> At the time of the error, these were the last few entries in install.log:
> --------------[ rdbms.ins 1750 ]---------------------------------------------
> Action: Running crdbA.sql
> Command: (/usr/oracle/bin/sqldba _at_/usr/oracle/dbs/crdbA.sql), Out=/usr/oracle/orainst/install.log, Err=/usr/oracle/orainst/install.log
> {
>
> SQL*DBA: Release 7.2.2.3.0 - Production on Tue Apr 2 16:53:33 1996
>
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
>
> DBA-00314: unable to attach to default host
> }
> --------------[ rdbms.ins 1760 ]---------------------------------------------
 [...]
> The help on error DBA-00314 isn't very helpful - it recommends that I
> use the "SET INSTANCE" command, but I can't run sqldba. If I try to
> run sqldba from the command line, I get exactly the same error as
> shown in the install.log fragment above. Also, although it doesn't
> tell me, it leaves a corefile in /usr/oracle/dbs. Completing the
> "software only" installation doesn't fix the problem - I still can't
> use sqldba so I can't run and of the .sql files to create the database.

I got some advice from someone who's much more familiar with Oracle than I. He said the error messages I got didn't mean anything to him, but that the install often fails at the sqldba step if there aren't enough shared memory or semaphores. He suggested doubling the values for those options given in the installation & configuration guide.

I tried that, updated /etc/system, rebooted, reinstalled - it works!

I don't see how I could have guessed at this solution. There's certainly no hint in the manuals that this kind of problem could be the symptom of not enough shared memory / semaphores, though I suppose it just causes general weirdness (though you'd think they would have tested this out and put a hint in the manual...)