Re: Solved: db creation failed: unable to attach to default host

From: Greg Grooms <g-grooms_at_stl.prc.com>
Date: 1996/04/12

SOfer Inbar wrote:

> On Tue Apr 2 18:35:59 1996, I wrote:
> > I'm attempting to install Oracle 7.2 on a SPARC5 running Solaris 2.4
 [...]
> > About halfway through the installation, I got a dialog box saying:
> > ------------------------------ DB Failure -----------------------------+
> > | |
> > | Database creation appears to have failed. Select [Yes] if you |
> > | would like to continue with the installation (software only) for |
> > | the rest of the selected products. Select [No] to abort |
 [...]
> > At the time of the error, these were the last few entries in install.log:
> > --------------[ rdbms.ins 1750 ]---------------------------------------------
> > Action: Running crdbA.sql
> > Command: (/usr/oracle/bin/sqldba _at_/usr/oracle/dbs/crdbA.sql), Out=/usr/oracle/orainst/install.log, Err=/usr/oracle/orainst/install.log
> > {
> >
> > SQL*DBA: Release 7.2.2.3.0 - Production on Tue Apr 2 16:53:33 1996
> >
> > Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
> >
> > DBA-00314: unable to attach to default host
> > }
> > --------------[ rdbms.ins 1760 ]---------------------------------------------
 [...]
> > The help on error DBA-00314 isn't very helpful - it recommends that I
> > use the "SET INSTANCE" command, but I can't run sqldba. If I try to
> > run sqldba from the command line, I get exactly the same error as
> > shown in the install.log fragment above. Also, although it doesn't
> > tell me, it leaves a corefile in /usr/oracle/dbs. Completing the
> > "software only" installation doesn't fix the problem - I still can't
> > use sqldba so I can't run and of the .sql files to create the database.
>
> I got some advice from someone who's much more familiar with Oracle
> than I. He said the error messages I got didn't mean anything to him,
> but that the install often fails at the sqldba step if there aren't
> enough shared memory or semaphores. He suggested doubling the values
> for those options given in the installation & configuration guide.
>
> I tried that, updated /etc/system, rebooted, reinstalled - it works!
>
> I don't see how I could have guessed at this solution. There's
> certainly no hint in the manuals that this kind of problem could be
> the symptom of not enough shared memory / semaphores, though I suppose
> it just causes general weirdness (though you'd think they would have
> tested this out and put a hint in the manual...)
>
> -- Cos (Ofer Inbar) -- cos_at_leftbank.com cos_at_cs.brandeis.edu
> -- The Left Bank Operation -- lbo_at_leftbank.com http://www.leftbank.com
> A cos is an abstraction for a stream or datagram channel, used in BSD
> and BSD derivatives. -- Ben Tober <tober_at_wizvax.methuen.ma.us>

Sorry to say, that may not have been your problem...I was getting that same error after unsuccessful attempts to open a database that was looking for a control file without sufficient file permissions. That error can be caused by SQL*Net V2. If you do a lsnrctl reload, then you can get into sqldba again...

Worked for me!
Greg Received on Fri Apr 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message