OPO: popups in classes in libraries...

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/04/09

Unless I did something wrong (which seems too easy when moving/copying things in OPO), I don't understand this...

I had a class in an application which contains field boxes, text boxes, popups, a scrollbar and 3 pushbuttons. The popups' ValueList property is set to "= select ...". This worked fine.

Then I decided it was time to move things to a library. Mistake...

The first error to show up was "Can't find bitmap ..." According to the documentation, if you use a bitmap you must import it into the application. An import was there. The exception to this is if it is a library's class which has the bitmap. In that case, it is the library which needs to import the bitmap (and not the application).

The next was "No default session is available -- you must either set the Default Session of the application, or explicitly specify a session to use." But a default session was specified. The problem is with the popups. It won't accept the "= select" format.

Well the DefaultSession of the application is set (and in any case there is only one session in the Main window).

Note that the online help says that the session should default to a session from the main window whose "DefaultSession" property is true. Unfortunately, when you create a session there is no "DefaultSession" property.

In any case, even if there is no session I thought it was supposed to randomly choose one; apparently it randomly chooses NULL instead of the only session.

The next interesting thing is that even if you specify "= AT session...." in the instantiation, the error doesn't go away.

Even if you delete the offending popups in the instantiation of the class, it doesn't get rid of the error message.

You apparently have to take care of this in the class itself by always specifying a session for popups.

Ack!

There were several bug reports with popups causing crashing in runtimes which were said to be fixed but there were no explicit popup bugs mentioned. Is the above behaviour still a "feature" in 1.0.16?

Peter

--

Peter Yamamoto
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488