Re: Wich database?

From: Carlos Augusto Leite Netto <cnetto_at_cps.softex.br>
Date: 1996/04/09

Glen A. Acord wrote:
[deleted lines]

> Oracle - Enough power to blow yourself up. Hard to manage. Cost is
> reasonable for the workgroup system, esp. as a var. Cost will
> escalate as options are added in (the ala carte approach).[deleted lines]
>
> Important question: How does Oracle Workgroup Server compare?

Well... you can find most features of Oracle Enterprise Server on Workgroup server. Workgroup is much (very much!) cheaper than Enterprise (don't ask me why) and it's not hard to manage:

  • you have MS-Windows tools to manage you RDBMS, wherever the server OS you choose; you can also use your NetScape to do most tasks managing the server (like starting up, shuting down, expanding a tablespace, making a backup, killing a session, etc.)
  • to install you have a configures database in your CD-ROM. Just setup.exe.
  • to tunne, you have many pre-configures tunnings. Just select one of thre and use it.
  • you can download the server (workgroup of enterprise) from Internet. it's easy to do that.
  • enterprise manager will (when released) allow you to manage a distributed environment with many servers, very GUI, very easy to use (I don't know about setting it up; I just saw demos).
  • I heard about per-CPU licensing for Web Servers, because you can not count "named users" of your Web.
  • WebServer is cool! It's not only a HTTP server. The Web Requester Browker is something different, that can call many servers (PL/SQL agent, Java Server, C++ server) based on the ULR the end user type. Everything OPEN (CORBA Compliant and so forth). If you use Oracle, you'll take the advantage of using WebServer.

So.... try Oracle. I really don't know the others, but I'm very happy with Oracle and with Oracle is delivering to us. *VERY* much better than few years ago; almost a new company, much faster, cheaper and quick.

Regards and I help it'll help you,

Carlos Netto
cnetto_at_cps.softex.br - Software Desing Ltd - Oracle Consultants Brazil - Campinas - SP Received on Tue Apr 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message