Re: Hiding password from ps - Need better solution

From: Oracle DBA <eddas_at_huber.com>
Date: 1996/04/09

badri (badri_at_cc.gatech.edu) wrote:
: Hi:

: We have an ORACLE 7.2 database on Dynix/ptx 4.1.2. I wanted
: to hide the username and password from "ps" command.

: I called ORACLE about hiding password from the ps command.
: I was given a program called hide.c. This program works great if
: I do just ps. However, If I do "ps -ef" (or whatever your implementation's
: way of showing ps with arguments is)and the password is still visible.
: Is there a way of doing this? I would ideally like the following:

: If my command is

: sqlplus username/password _at_command arguments

: I want ps (or ps -ef) to show

: sqlplus _at_command arguments

: Any ideas?

: thanks a lot,

: -Badri

        I get around that problem something like this

         sqlplus x/y _at_command arguments

where x is a schema with no privileges except CREATE SESSION, and y is its password. Then I put in a read-protected directory the statement

         connect scott/tiger

and call it, say, connect_scott.sql

        Then make the first line of the "command script"

         _at_/protected_dir/connect_scott

        In other words, I connect first to a schema that anyone can get into but which has no privileges. Then I connect to the real account inside of sqlplus. Then the ps command will show "sqlplus x/y", but who cares?

         connect

Donald A. Smith         No, that was JOHN Smith
eddas_at_huber.com         I have never met Pocahontas