Re: DB Backup on HP-UX 10.01

From: Sameer Utrankar <utrankas_at_coned.com>
Date: 1996/04/08

Jay Mehta <jvmehta_at_mra.ffx.mobil.com> wrote:

>Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_ttgroup.fi> wrote:
>>I have found that fbackup is not a suitable utility for
>>Oracle hot backups. This is because fbackup recognizes 'files
>>in use' during backup and retries backup it again.
>>Needless to say, Oracle-files are usually heavily accessed. So I
>>use tar for db backups (hot ones).
>>
>>Timo Haatainen

>Could you please explain in more details why fbackup is not suitable for
>Oracle hot backup?

>Please correct me if I am wrong, but Oracle datafiles are not in use
>during hot backup. Instead redo logs get all the traffic. We use fbackup
>to backup hot as well as cold datafiles on HP/UX 10.

>Jay Mehta
>DBA
I don't know whether fbackup is suitable for hot-backup or not but Oracle datafiles should certainly be in use (IMHO). If redo log takes entire io as you are saying - does that mean there is no checkpoint during hot-backup when redo log fills up to update data files ? Find that hard to believe.

Utrankas_at_coned.com (Sameer Utrankar)
212-460-1117 (W) Received on Mon Apr 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message