Re: LARGE backup query

From: Greg Sigler <gregs_at_apsg.eds.com>
Date: 1996/04/04

jhobson (John Hobson) wrote:
>I have an Oracle database running on an HP 9000 under HP-UX 10.0. Currently,
>this is reasonably small (~ 1.5 gigabytes), but it is expected to grow to over
>60 gigabytes. How do I do backups? The system currently has 3 tape drives
>attached to it, each with a 4-gig capacity.
>
>If someone has experience with backing up something like this, I would dearly
>like to know.

We have an application with a 200-GB database. Without a HSM (hierarchical storage managment) product to manage automatic tape swapping etc., we opted to write most of our data to Unix files in SQL Loader-ready format before we inserted; then backed up the Unix files instead of the database. Ours is a real-time application, however, so you may not have the other constraints we had.

--
Greg Sigler (gregs_at_apsg.eds.com)   |
EDS Advanced Product Support       |