Re: URGENT : database down at 01-APR-96 10:32:00

From: Kevin Johnson Serco DPE/IO <johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it>
Date: 1996/04/04

Erik Swanson wrote:

> Kevin Johnson Serco DPE/IO (johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it) wrote:
> : Dear All,

> : This morning I found I could not start one of our databases :

> : - ora-01116 error in opening datafile
>
> <snip>
>
> Do you use Microsoft Word to edit your databases? I do, sometimes when I
> don't have time to write those pesky "SQL" commands. BUT- you can run
> into trouble this way if you're not careful! What happens is that I
> forget and save the database in Word format. Of course, Oracle is a
> database and not a word processor, so now it can't read the file!
> Actually, it can't FIND the file because it now has the ".DOC" on the end
> of the file name. TIP: check to see if you have a file on your system
> that is database.DOC...
>
> -- swanson_at_usa.net
<snip>

Eric,

Unfortunately, our 'standard' is WordPerfect. This gives us severe performance problems when editing databases above 1Gb. [ TIP : If you implement OFA it recommends that you split your databases

        into several smaller tablespaces for just this reason.] Anyway, to improve performance we are considering migrating from Oracle-based tables to Wordperfect tables (however CUT-AND-PASTE migration means we need to schedule it over a holiday weekend).

Kevin.

 | / _     o  _    | _ | _   _  _  _   _    EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
 || /_|\  /||/ |   |/ \|/ ||/ ||_ / \|/ |   PHONE  :  (+39) 6 941 80 633
 | \\__ \/ ||  | \_/\_/|  ||  |__|\_/|  |  ADDRESS :  European Space Agency
                                                      Via Galileo Galilei
        Information Administrator                     Frascati  00044   ITALIA.