Re: URGENT : database down at 01-APR-96 10:32:00

From: Erik Swanson <swanson_at_earth.usa.net>
Date: 1996/04/03

Kevin Johnson Serco DPE/IO (johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it) wrote:
: Dear All,

: This morning I found I could not start one of our databases :

: - ora-01116 error in opening datafile

: Indeed, I had a look and found that the file was missing.

<snip>
: Has anyone else had any similar experiences (today) ?

: Kevin

Kevin,

Do you use Microsoft Word to edit your databases? I do, sometimes when I don't have time to write those pesky "SQL" commands. BUT- you can run into trouble this way if you're not careful! What happens is that I forget and save the database in Word format. Of course, Oracle is a database and not a word processor, so now it can't read the file! Actually, it can't FIND the file because it now has the ".DOC" on the end of the file name. TIP: check to see if you have a file on your system that is database.DOC...

  • swanson_at_usa.net