Re: Beginners PO7 Questions

From: Sanjay D.S. <sanjay_at_fsg.prusec.com>
Date: 1996/04/04

stacys_at_interpac.net (R. Stacy Sherman) wrote:
>I just started learning PO7 (Macintosh) and have 2 questions:
>
>How do you see what tables are available?
>
>From what I've been able to get out of the docs, it seems that everything
>is all put together in one database. Is this true? Isn't there a command
>to create a new database?

Use Following Sql statements to list tables. 1. To list all tables under your ORACLE account. SQL> select table_name from user_tables; 2. To list all tables that are accessible to you, but may be owned different

    ORACLE accounts.
SQL> select table_name ,owner from all_tables; 3. If you system password and list all tables created by all users, including SYS, SYSTEM.
SQL > select table_name,owner from dba_tables; 4. To know your userid while logged onto sql*plus. SQL> Show user
5. To list all objects (TABLE,VIEW,CLUSTER,INDEX) SQL> select object_name,object_type from user_objects.

Get familiarized with data dictionary views like: USER_TABLES,USER_VIEWS, USER_OBJECTs,USER_INDEXES. It will be pretty useful. Also In ORACLE create database means different from creating tables. One ORACLE Database can hold many different schema (database) objects.

Sanjay D.S.
Oracle Consultant
Prudential Securities, Inc. Received on Thu Apr 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message