Re: Database Monitoring Utilities

From: Hugo Toledo, Jr. <hugo_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/04/02

Amir M. Farhi wrote:

> Douglas Scott wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for some utilities to monitor/maintain an Oracle
> > database. Does anyone have any suggestions? Windows,
> > Macintosh or VAX VMS platform required.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Douglas Scott
> > dsscott_at_neosoft.com
>
> Try the new Oracle Enterprise Manager (I thing it is still in Beta) from Oracle.
> It's fantastic.

Enterprise Manager is excellent. I'm devoting a whole chapter to it in Oracle Networking.

However, there are a couple of other considerations. The Navigator which you can try out in the Win95 version of Personal Oracle7 may meet your needs.

Also, although it can't quite be used to maintain Oracle, you can certainly monitor Oracle technology, including the Oracle7 Server, SQL*Net Listener, and MultiProtocol interchange using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). Oracle SNMP provides the means for you to use enterprise management platforms such as IBM NetView/6000 and HP OpenView to trap and poll Oracle SNMP agents.

Hope this helps.

--
Hugo Toledo, Jr.   Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
312.951.8012               Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents