Re: How to write a script to shutdown Oracle 7 NT?

From: snowone <merv_at_snowone.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/04/02

100670.467_at_compuserve.com (Bole-Feysot E. France) wrote:

>Hi,

>Just a little question with oracle 7 and nt...

>I am using Oracle7 server on windows NT, and a general backup of the
>server is performed every night.

>First, should I shutdown oracle database before doing the backup ?
>I mean, backup report that some files have not been processed.
>These files were in use because oracle was running...

You need these files as they are the database :)

>I have the possibility to run a dos script before and after the backup
>process. Can I use this possibility to shutdown oracle, and then
>restart after the backup?

Solution What you want to do is have is feed in a script to oracles sqldba71.exe on the command line. To do this create a text file with the commands to shutdown the database and then feed it in as follows

sqldba71 lmode=y < your_text_file

Remember to put path things in and in your script make exit the last command.

You can then kick this off using the AT command. Remember that AT has little sense of paths , so you will need to set these up.

>I think the command is 'shutdown normal', but I must be connected as
>'internal'.

put the connect internal/password in the script to pass to sqldba. Not very nice for security though. Do shutdown normal if you are sure no applications are connected to it. We have an application connected to it permanently and have to kick it off using shutdown immediate.

>Have you an idea on how to write a script that can stop oracle,
>and restart it after the backup?

Just another script to start it again.

Mervyn Snow Received on Tue Apr 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message