Re: Web Site ideal system: Oracle vs. Illustra and Sun vs. Silicon Graphics

From: John Regep <jregep_at_zenacomp.zenacomp.com>
Date: 1996/03/30

Aaron,

70% of all WEB sites that use a database use Illustra, what does that tell you?

Look at www.coldwellbanker.com and see what is posible, there is a long list of prominant companies using Illustra look at www.illustra.com for a complete list. Real life examples are better than oracle promises.

--
John Regep,            ||    _______        || ZenaComp, Incorporated
Information Consultant ||  -----/  /        || 17187 N.Laurel Park Dr. #351

Aaron D. Gross (aaron.g_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: My company is entertaining proposals from two vendors
: for a web site solution.

: One vendor is pushing Oracle 7.3 Universal Server,
: Designer 2000 on a Sun Sparc 50 platform.

: The other vendor is pushing Informix/Illustra and
: WebFORCE on a SGI server.

: Until today, I hadn't heard of Designer 2000.
: WebFORCE, on the other hand, appears to have
: an excellent reputation. Another consideration
: is that, as a company, the enterprise is moving
: toward Oracle. Yet, since the web server will
: not be connected to our production systems, it
: will probably be just taking nightly batch imports
: generated by SQL, anyway, so the actual database
: is less of an issue... or is it?

: I have to admit my bias is a bit more toward Informix,
: as I have experience being burned by Oracle's juggernaut
: sales staff. But I want to keep an open mind.

: Any feedback by email would be most appreciated.
: Some major decisions are being made Monday morning
: and there isn't much time left.