Re: Oracle 7.1.x to 7.2.x

From: Bob Manieri <bmanieri_at_ford.com>
Date: 1996/03/29

Casey Sisterson <csisters_at_mts.net> wrote:
>Does anybody have any comments on how the upgrade went from 7.1 to 7.2?
>Anything I should watch out for (ie: undocumented stuff)? How does the
>sql engine compare? Is it faster, or slower?
>How long did it take to convert you database?
Casey:
We went to 7.2 as soon as it came out. We were at 7.1.6. Just read chapter 8 of the Server Migration guide on the documentation CD. Follow everything to the letter, DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS and you'll be OK.

7.2 is a very definite improvement. Creating indexes is much faster, creating table AS SELECT is many times faster. Something we make a lot of use of is dynamically executing SQL from within PL/SQL with DBMS_SQL.

You may want to consider taking the New Features course Oracle offers.

Bob Manieri                           email : bmanieri_at_ford.com
Database Administrator                voice : (610) 584-7085
Ford Electronics, Lansdale, PA        pager : (609) 342-0314
Business is war....information is the high ground.  - J.Abrahamson
..we can deprive the enemy of the high ground.  - J. Buford