Re: Storing extended ASCII characters in Oracle

From: Dave Heissner <dheissner_at_thomtech.com>
Date: 1996/03/24

Erik Johnson wrote:

> Is it possible to store extended ASCII characters in Oracle? CHAR and
> VARCHAR2 only include letters, numbers, and symbols on the keyboard.
> We've tried to use RAW, but Powerbuilder doesn't support it.
>
> Any suggestions??

Windows uses the ISO-8859 character set. This is an 8-bit char set which  includes a good set of 'extended' glyphs (characters). I believe when you do a CREATE DATABASE with Oracle there is a CHAR SET parameter. This should be set to the ISO-8859 value, you might be using a 7-bit / Ascii character set with Oracle?

Dave H. - dheissner_at_thomtech.com Received on Sun Mar 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message