Re: Desinger 2000 on Internet ? Server in Canada and Client in Australia

From: Craig <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/03/22

Philipp Weckerle wrote:

> David g <david_ng_at_mindlink.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> >Hi,

> >My company is team up with a S/W company in Australia for application
> >development. Although my company locates in BC Canada, I am studying
> >of running Designer 2000 via Internet. Technically speaking, it is
> >fleasible on paper but I am not sure of the performance.

> >Any one has simliar kind of set up, or would like to share your opinions
> >on this set up. Please feel free to comment.

> >Thank in advance for your comments.
>
> we tried it between Vienna/Austria(Client) and
> Innsbruck/Austria(Server, NT, Pentium 120); connection via ISDN to our
> Provider. it worked, but nothing more. it can be userd for updating
> snapshot at night or something else; for online-Appolcations this type
> of connection is not adequat.
>
> greetings,

philipp,

Could you provide mode details regarding you client/server connection via the internet. Band width on each side, type of application, thought behind optimizing code for the internet.

We have just set up a forms 4.5 application that connects using different ISP's with 288 modems, our server connection is a 128 ISDN.

We have noticed that by thoughtfully coding the Forms side of our application (passing complete SQL blocks rather than letting Forms parse each statment, and using server side proceedures judiciously) not to mention good use of indexes, we have an adequate performing application. We are in the process of performing some benchmarks on our application. I am however, not sure how to relate them to any broader assumptions.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions on how to benchmark this I would like to hear them.

Craig Harper IFTN
(v) 415.583.4528
(f) 415.583.5536

Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking. Received on Fri Mar 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message