Re: Forms 4.5 PC Client Memory Requirements ?

From: Craig <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/03/22

dmoyer_at_gpu.com wrote:

> In <4hglad$ssv_at_net.auckland.ac.nz>, amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz (Alan MCCulloch) writes:
> >We are considering Forms 4.5 .v. Another (e.g. Delphi) and
> >an important factor in the decision is memory requirements
> >for a PC Client user (and less importantly , a PC developer
> >client) - i.e. a user of a reasonably complex Forms App
> >created by Forms 4.5
> >
> >I have read that Forms 4.5 is resource hungry and that as much
> >as 24Mbyte is needed for a client user. Is there any consensus
> >on minimum, typical and worst case memory requirements for users
> >and developers, for Forms 4.5 , for reasonable speed outcome ?
> >
> >While I'm here, any reports on stability ?
> >
> >I will summarise.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Alan McCulloch
> >Programmer
> >Clinical Trials Research Unit
> >Dept of Medicine
> >Auckland University
> >NZ
> >
> We have been running into some problems with developers at 20Meg. On the user
> side we have been having memory leak problems with the 4.5.6.3.3 release and
> just upgraded a user to 28Meg and so far it seems to help. The minimum
> recommendations by Oracle are just what you get ... minimal reliabilty. For best
> performance I suggest you get the biggest you can afford.

I have built a complex Multi-Form application that runs on a client machine with 8 MB Ram. No Kiding! On our 16 MB clients the application runs very well. We don't use any call forms as that built-in does not release all it's memory when the called form is closed. Furthermore, we use program units that execute their functions and then terminate. Our database updates and inserts are primarily performed through server side procedures. This helps reduce the amount of ram that Forms uses and holds. All in all our biggest problems are when communicating between Oracle Forms Products. The Run_Product command to run Reports for example brings the 8 meg system to its knees. Works ok on the 16 meg system.

The bottom line is that you have to look at your application and plan it out. Taking advantage of the strenghts and weaknesses of any front end tool that you use.

--

Craig Harper
IFTN

Thinking is more interesting than knowing,
but less interesting than looking.