Re: Normalizing vs. Denormalizing

From: Michael P Strong,713 274 3317,a0883922 <mstrong_at_wotangate.sc.ti.com>
Date: 1996/03/21

A rule of thumb that has worked for me is 'Normalize for storage, un-normalize for reports'. This means normalize your tables (to the 3rd form) for the best performance and most efficient storge. Then create views (un-normalize) that link various tables for the users to access for reporting, data analysis, etc.

This seems simplistic, but it works for me.

Best Regards,

Mike Strong
(713) 274-3317
Texas Instruments, Inc./Houston