Re: Normalizing vs. Denormalizing

From: Suu Quan <quan_at_hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: 1996/03/18

> If I denormalize the data, it would reduce the number of disk
>reads and all of the information should be fairly contiguous, but it seems
>to me that that would defeat the purpose of a relational database.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on where you would draw the line?

   Don't feel shy, you're not alone. We do it all the time for performance.    Althought you must be aware of the down side - as you already are.    I wouldn't say "that would defeat the purpose of a relational database"    but rather patch up a very-very weak spot. Received on Mon Mar 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message