Re: RAID and Oracle

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1996/03/15

In article <4ia7ov$198_at_lal.interserv.net> steve.miles_at_ci.seattle.wa.us writes:
>From: steve.miles_at_ci.seattle.wa.us
>Subject: RAID and Oracle
>Date: 14 Mar 1996 22:49:03 GMT

>We are planning to set up several new disks for our Oracle database. I'm a little confused about the
>issue of RAID. Our database will be used for both data entry applications and read-only queries.
>Obviously the nice thing about RAID 5 is the potential for hot-swapping disks (and little down time) in
>case of media failure. However, I hear that there is a performance hit when implementing RAID 5.
>Does anyone have numbers/sources to back this up? Does anyone have a general
>recommendation for the use of RAID with Oracle? Is anyone using RAID 5 with Oracle now? Can
>you tell me what kind of performance you get? Are there other issues/options that need to be
>considered?

>Thanks.

>Steve Miles
>Seattle Water

Common sense helps a lot here. Raid 5 stripes the data across the disks on a write and ALSO writes parity information to allow the rebuilding of a disk.

Raid 0+1 is an alternative. This is stripping and mirroring. This way you don't take a performance hit on writes.

It' s all depends on your application as to what level of performance is acceptable to you and your users.

P.S. Faster raid controllers are on the market that help reduce the performance hit of raid 5. Received on Fri Mar 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message