Re: Printing debug statements in stored procedure/packages

From: Dave Podnar <dave.podnar_at_daytonOH.ATTGIS.COM>
Date: 1996/03/12

We used the DBMS_PIPE package to send logging/debug info from a package to another session that continually retrieved the messages and inserted them into a table. This design sent all log/debug messages out of the current COMMIT/ROLLBACK scope. After they were inserted and committed by the receiver they were visible regardless of the outcome of the originating transaction.

This worked well since we were writing server based daemons and wanted to record informative processing info but didn't have a user to view it. We did run into some situations where the pipe would overflow and some messages would be lost.

Dave Podnar
NCR Corp.
dave.podnar_at_daytonoh.ncr.com