Multiplexing Archive Logs

From: Howard L. Curtis <howard.curtis_at_cplc.com>
Date: 1996/03/12

Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, issues regarding multiplexing the archive logs. Oracle currently multiplexes the redo logs to enable fault tolerance, but the archive log is still a single point of failure. We are currently looking to develop/purchase facilities to enable dual copies of the archive logs. Mirroring, dual streaming to tape, etc. come to mind. The Questions: Is anyone doing it? How are they doing it ? Back in my DB2 days, our Operational Unit did not have dual-archiving enabled (DB2 does this for you). We, the DBA group, indicated that this was a significant risk, not only for a system crash during archiving, but loosing data should a recovery be required and the archive log was damaged. The response was that the cost or dual archiving far outweighed the risk of a tape or transport failure (they're so reliable) and dual archiving would not be enabled. Literally 45 minutes later, the transport failed and the production subsystem crashed. We've been dual archiving ever since. Thanks... Howie Received on Tue Mar 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message