Re: Portable Developer/2000 on PC and Unix ?

From: Lee Levy <levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/03/10

In article <4hlqrk$19e_at_news.nyc.pipeline.com>, utrankar_at_nyc.pipeline.com (Sameer Utrankar) says:

>I developed developer/2000 forms on PC Microsoft Windows. The
>application needs to run on PC windows as well as HP-UX. Copied .fmb
>files to HP-UX. Generated to create .fmx and ran it.
>
>Guess what..the application runs fine (functionality wise) but screen
>layouts, fonts, push-buttons, Pull down lists are all messed up. Some
>are not readable at all (too small), some field lengths are to small
>to fit the text that fits fine on windows platform etc.
>
>This means I need to make changes on Hp-Ux. Minor but still changes
>and thus forcing me to maintain two different sets of codes and
>maintenance nightmare.
>
>Isn't this tool supposed to be portable. Are these the limitations of
>portability we have to live with ? Any solutions to maintain one
>source code only ?
>All of us can't be heros. There has to be someone to sit by the curb and clap as they go by.

We have ported successfully from MSwin to AIX-Unix. Note that we had to use the MOTIF generator - F45GENM - there is a f45Gen utility that looks awful, so avoid that one. From memory it looked much as you describe, so perhaps that is what you have done.
We have developed in co-orinate system of real, points 6 x 15. We established this after much heartbreak - on windows we have to be able to run it on all different terminal sizes and drivers, as well as on Thinkpads (which was the real killer). This turned out to be the only solution.

Note we still had to do some rework - eg. the visual attributes didnt come across properly, but not much.

Lee

      This      |  Lee Levy, ISSD Systems Development, Del Code (34)
     space      |  BHP Information Technology,  ACN 006 476 213
  left blank    |  PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, Australia
 intentionally | PH: +61 42 75-5485 Fax: -5500 Tie: 8855-   in mourning | Internet : levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au
Opinions expressed are mostly my own, so give me some credit. Received on Sun Mar 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message