Re: Portable Developer/2000 on PC and Unix ?

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/03/08

utrankar_at_nyc.pipeline.com (Sameer Utrankar) wrote:

>I developed developer/2000 forms on PC Microsoft Windows. The
>application needs to run on PC windows as well as HP-UX. Copied .fmb
>files to HP-UX. Generated to create .fmx and ran it.

>Guess what..the application runs fine (functionality wise) but screen
>layouts, fonts, push-buttons, Pull down lists are all messed up. Some
>are not readable at all (too small), some field lengths are to small
>to fit the text that fits fine on windows platform etc.

>This means I need to make changes on Hp-Ux. Minor but still changes
>and thus forcing me to maintain two different sets of codes and
>maintenance nightmare.

>Isn't this tool supposed to be portable. Are these the limitations of
>portability we have to live with ? Any solutions to maintain one
>source code only ?
>All of us can't be heros. There has to be someone to sit by the curb and clap as they go by.

The key to Portability is to avoid using proportional fonts in the Windows environment and setting the form's co-ordinate system properly (Using a character as opposed to a real coordinate setting) .

Michael B. Openshaw
Integrated Medical Networks
(Opinions expressed are my own) Received on Fri Mar 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message