Re: Matching Forms(4.5) to different screen resolutions

From: Lee Levy <levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/03/10

In article <4hlu8q$6ip_at_news.mel.aone.net.au>, Tom Platts <santos.salib_at_a011.aone.net.au> says:

>WE need to design Forms for applications displayed on different screen
>sizes/resolutions eg laptop vs SVGA etc. Has anyone developed a method
>for doing this dynamically. We don't want to develop multiple sets of
>forms unless we can't avoid it! Thanks in anticipation of your help in
>this area! AS we are operating on a shared account would you please
>E-mail me with any suggestions
>
>Sonia Bohonis
>Senior Systems Analyst
>Santos Ltd.
>101, Grenfell St,. Adelaide South Australia 5000
>misseb_at_santos.com.au

We had exactly the same requirement - from laptops through to SVGA. We arent doing it dynamically (cant see how you would - you would have to hard code many, many different layouts for all items in every progam and figure out some way (impossible?) to tell what sort of terminal was running the form?)
There is a chapter in the Forms manuals you can read, and I have an article written by some Oracle guy which really helped (hard copy only, sorry).
The article concludes by suggesting running with coordinate units of Real points, with a grid of 6 x 12, however, we found that this chopped off the bottom of each text item, so we changed to 6 x 15, and it works just dandy.
We restrict ourselves to a screensize of 462 x 276 (its a bit small, but it fills a VGA screen)
And voila - we have a screen that appears perfactly on every single screen size & resolution combination.
We've even ported this successfully to AIX Note that because we cant tell if the users will be using small or large fonts, we also have a table of item lengths which we adhere to strictly, but it basically comes down to (maximum length + 1) x 6.

HIH
Lee
PS. If you really want the full gab, then mail me back, and I can snail-mail you a copy of the article. It takes some brain scud, but it discusses the situation fully.

      This      |  Lee Levy, ISSD Technical Mgmt, Del Code (34)
     space      |  BHP Information Technology,  ACN 006 476 213
  left blank    |  PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, Australia
 intentionally | PH: +61 42 75-5485 Fax: -5500 Tie: 8855-   in mourning | Internet : levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au
Opinions expressed are mostly my own, so give me some credit. Received on Sun Mar 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message