Re: DBA Prep -- Sample question

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/03/07

On 5 Mar 1996, Gerard H. Pille wrote:
> sbut-is_at_seatimes.com says...
> !>A BEFORE INSERT trigger is created to do validation on a column created
> !>as not NULL. The purpose of the trigger is to check the contains (sic)

> !>NULL. What will happen? (May have multiple answers)
> !>
> !>A. The trigger will be fired and it will check value of the colmn and
> !> return a message when the column is NULL.
> !>B. The trigger will never be fired even when the column is NULL.
> !>C. The message "Column cannot be NULL" will never be displayed.
> !>D. The trigger is always fired whenever data is inserted into thie

> I don't know how a trigger would 'return' or 'display' a message, so I'd
> bet on C & D.

I picked C. dbaPREP wanted both B and C. Thomas Kyte wrote a very thorough analysis on this. Perhaps he would be kind enough to post it to the group.

--Steve

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Thu Mar 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message