DBA Prep -- Sample question

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/03/04

In a previous thread we proposed posting some of the DBA Prep questions that seemed to have incorrect answers. In order to generate discussion I'll not reveal the perported "correct" answers until folks have had a chance to form an opinion.

QUESTION:
A BEFORE INSERT trigger is created to do validation on a column created as not NULL. The purpose of the trigger is to check the contains (sic) of the column and display a message "Column cannot be NULL" if the column is NULL. What will happen? (May have multiple answers)

  1. The trigger will be fired and it will check value of the colmn and return a message when the column is NULL.
  2. The trigger will never be fired even when the column is NULL.
  3. The message "Column cannot be NULL" will never be displayed.
  4. The trigger is always fired whenever data is inserted into thie table.

You choice(s):

--Steve

| Steve Butler Voice: 206-464-2998 |
| The Seattle Times Fax: 206-382-8898 |
| PO Box 70 Internet: sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111 Packet: KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Mon Mar 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message