Re: URGENT>>DBA HELP<< with LISTENER.ORA & TNSNAMES.ORA files

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/03/01

Certainly an interesting variety of suggestions on this thread. Let me mention a couple of things that I didn't see elsewhere.

First, tnsnames.ora is used by clients, not by the listener. This means it is not involved in your listener startup problems; it also means you need it (or its Mac equivalent) on your client machines.

Second, there is a documented search order for these SQL*Net admin files. Check the manual to get the official word on this but my vague recall is:

  1. $TNS_ADMIN directory (if defined)
  2. /etc
  3. $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
  4. ? (maybe others, like user's home directory) I might have 2 and 3 reversed. Of course you can mess around with links to control the "real" location of a file.

Last, there is a reason why we urge people to use an admin tool to create or modify the content of these files. It's because they are so easy to screw up when editing manually.

Good luck.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not