Re: Oracle 8 and "Sedona" inf.?

From: Steve Muench <smuench_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/02/28

Since Oracle8, Sedona, and Developer/2000 Release 2.0 (which includes Forms 5.0 as part of the suite) are not officially announced product releases just yet, regrettably I cannot provide a massive amount of details at the moment.

I can give you some information which has appeared in the trade press over the last six months without getting into trouble. These brief descriptions don't do justice to the feature-packed products that are coming, but the marketing people will *kill* me if I say anything more right now.

This might sounds like marketing stuff, but trust me, I work in the development group... :-)

Oracle8 will extend the Oracle7 Release 7.3 "Universal Server" to include user-defined complex objects with executable, encapsulated behavior in the server, and will introduce extensibility mechanisms for building domain-specific object storage and logic into the server engine.

Developer/2000 Release 2.0 will dramatically extend Dev/2000's lead in ultimate reduction of client-server network traffic; will extend its unique drag & drop application partitioning to a "drag, drop, and *debug* anywhere" architecture across multiple tiers; will leapfrog the competition in new ease-of-use features like on-line "watch & learn" video training, wizards, and even more WYSIWYG editing of Forms, Reports, and Charts; and will add integration with the Worldwide Web.

The as-of-yet-unnamed product code-named "Sedona" will provide a component framework for modeling, developing, deploying, and reusing networked business objects, in an environment integrating Oracle8 database objects with CORBA, OLE, C++, Java and Object PL/SQL. Then you will use your favorite tools like Developer/2000, PowerObjects, or any product that supports OLE or CORBA to call Sedona networked business objects from distributed Sedona App Servers. Sedona's networked business objects will be "wired into" future releases of Oracle's WebServer for integrated access to their functionality from anywhere on the Web. The object repository being built as part of "Sedona" has been designed to be the unified repository for all Oracle tools over time so products like Developer/2000, Designer/2000, Discoverer/2000, Sedona, PowerObjects, Express Objects and others will share common application metadata and re-use tools in future releases based on this repository.

People attending our Oracle Developer's Conference in San Francisco starting tomorrow will see sneak peeks of all three of these products in development.

Now I better get outta here before I get in trouble. :-)

Stay tuned in the coming months for lots more exciting information about these upcoming products from Oracle.

--
Steve Muench
Group Product Manager