Re: DBA-Sys admin Relationship - Need help to define it

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/02/26

On 21 Feb 1996, badri wrote:
> 1. A few weeks ago, I (as the DBA) was denied root access. I
> gather from netters that this is the norm.

It may be, but after a few days of me pointing out to the sysadmin things they had to do for me, they caved in. I still let them know what's going on but I can now run those scripts that need to be done as root.

> 2. It appears as though I may not be able to install new
> ORACLE versions on the production machine. I do it on the test box
> and the Sysadmin does it on production box. THe reason given was
> that we are using volume managers and I cannot issue those commands
> since I do not have root privilege.
>
> 3. I do not have any control over backups since sysadmins are again
> backing up the entire filesystem to tape and unmounting/mounting
> file systems in the process, thus requiring root access.

In our shop, sysadmins take care of the operating system. The DBA installs the oracle database software (one reason why I was able to keep the sysadmin busy doing stuff <<grin>>.

System level backup is the sysadmins responsability. Database backup is the DBA responsibility.

> Before I voice my concerns to my boss, I want to run it by the
> experienced netters to know whether I am justified taking up my boss'
> time!

Glad I was able to work it out with the sysadmin folks directly. Albeit there was the implied support of my manager in that I was the DBA and "please assist him in any manner possible so he can do his job."

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Mon Feb 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message