Re: Oracle on Netware 3.x Performance

From: Dieter Oberkofler <dtr_at_leadingbits.via.at>
Date: 1996/02/23

Carlos Augusto Leite Netto wrote:

> Keith R. Evans wrote:
> >
> > I am a little surprised that I have seen very little on running Oracle on Netware. In any
> > case, I would appreciate your experiences or information on running Oracle 7.2.3 on Netware
> > 3.1x. My main concern is performance, so I am looking for things that I need to consider to
> > run Oracle comfortably on Netware. I will initially only support about 20 users on a 200,000
> > plus database. Most searches will be decision support. Any Info would be appreciated. If
> > any benchmarks or articles are available, please e-mail to:
>
> I ever experienced a very fast database running Oracle on NetWare 3.x. Faster than Unixes box.
> The only problem is lacking of virtual memory and memory protection. Any Oracle bug can crash
> the entire Server.
>
> So -> performance: good
> Stability -> not so good.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos Netto
> cnetto_at_cps.softex.br - Software Design Informatica - Oracle Consultants

I am using Oracle 7 on NetWare 3.x and have no problems at all except initial problems to determine how much memory i really need. The performance is good and the stability is better than most other NLMs running on NetWare.
The only suggestion i can give is to give Oracle at least 32MB of memory and to check that the available cache pages for NetWare are not running under 50%. If NetWare or Oracle runs out of memory the System starts to be unstable.

Dieter Oberkofler
Technical Engineer

LEADING BITS GmbH.               Tel             (+43-1) 586 76 11
Schleifmuehlgasse 5/17           Fax             (+43-1) 587 76 15
A-1040 Vienna                    E-mail     dtr_at_leadingbits.via.at
Austria                          Compuserve            100141.1314