OPO: shared recordsets, only forms?

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/02/16

From what I read it would seem that you should be able to use an embedded form as a record source since it is a bindable container.

For example, on one form say frmX, I have an embedded detail form emY, which I want the user to be able to click (or double click or do something) to open a detail form frmY on emY's current record.

I figured this would be a simple matter of pointing the detail form's record source to the embedded form: =emY.

But this isn't the case. OPO does not recognize the embedded_form object name as a valid name. Trying to qualify it through the form leads to an error message: "Shared record source frmX has columns bound to it".

(Even if I did want frmX [as opposed to the embedded form], I don't understand why it's an error that frmX has columns bound to it).

I thought I saw this discussed somewhere, but if anybody can help me out here...

So far, I have resorted to setting the QueryWhere property of the detail form in the doubleclick function of one of the controls of the embedded form. While this works it is very slow. It also produced yet another "mysterious" source of activity...

The first time the user triggers the DoubleClick (or click for that matter) routine, there is a lengthy (anywhere from 7-17 seconds) delay before the method code is executed. Subsequent clicks/double-clicks do not have this delay. The delay depends on the contents of the method. You can do "little" things without incurring the initial delay, but if you have a call to a QueryWhere method, for example, then there is this initial delay. In other words it seems OPO is spending considerable time with your code before you even get there.

Preferably, I'd like to avoid this query (it is also very slow for some reason). I thought shared recordsets makes sense since I already am sitting on the record I want in one (embedded) form so why not simply use that? Either I am missing something in specifying the shared recordset or this is simply not possible (if so, why is it not possible!).

Peter

--
Peter Yamamoto                     CS   Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x3299
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488