Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Will Morse <will_at_Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>
Date: 1996/02/13

In article <clolson.823879181_at_me.umn.edu>, Curt Olson <clolson_at_jade.me.umn.edu> wrote:
> [...]

            [ A lot of peoples comments skipped here]

Getting a degree is not about learning specific facts and skills, it is learning to think like a person with a degree in that general area (in other words, BS people learn to think like BS people, engineers learn to think like engineers, accountants learn to think like accountants, etc.)

The value of a degree is not that you gain anything in terms of raw ability, what you gain is perspective, contacts, discipline (well, so they say), and experience working in a "professional" role, as opposed to high school which pretty much aims at a techician/assembly line role.

It is obvious that not all computer related jobs require such training and is even more obvious that human resources people never have any idea of what is required to do any specific job and so they always tack on a degree in the subject.

At the same time, a degree can't hurt you (and it has been definitively proven that persons with calculus and physics backgrounds make better lovers :-) ) and may improve your ability to grow with the changes over an entire 40 year career.

At least this ad said

          University degree in Computer Sciences or equivalent.

so they were not demanding a degree as such.

Will

--
#      Gravity,                    #    Will Morse
#      not just a good idea,       #    BHP Petroleum (Americas) Inc.