Re: Now there's to be a Fall Developer's Conference??

From: Glenn Kerr <KERRG_at_TIMKEN.COM>
Date: 1996/02/12

In article <4fnm0o$nhp_at_carrot.tssi.com> nolan_at_carrot.tssi.com (Michael Nolan) writes:

><snip>
>Further, OOW doesn't appear to be aimed at 3rd party vendors OTHER than
>those in BAP.

Another example of how Oracle is attempting to force the hand of vendors to join their BAP program. This is why I am glad the IOUW will be run by an independent group (IOUG-A) and not Oracle

>I'm in a real quandary as to which of the two fall shows I will go to, I
>CANNOT afford the time to do both. If IOUW has no major Oracle presence, it
>will not be as good a show. If OOW is going to be nothing but 'canned' Oracle
>sales pitches, then I don't know that I should have to PAY to attend it!

I am not sure that the IOUW will be as good as the past, but I definitely will not attend OOW as it will be run by Oracle. I believe Oracle will try to force us to attend OOW, but if the attendance at IOUW is strong, Oracle will be forced to show a presence. I believe that there will be plenty of 3rd party vendors at IOUW and hope enough technical presentations to fill the week.

<snip>
>A recent news release sent out by the International Oracle User Group -
>Americas (IOUG-A) regarding the U.S-based International Oracle User Week
>(IOUW) may have caused some confusion about the direction of OOW vis-a-vis
>IOUW. Although invited to participate in OOW, the IOUG-A has chosen to
>hold an independent Oracle user conference. As our major investment will
>be in OOU, Oracle Corp. will not be hosting the BAP Conference or the
>show floor at IOUG-A.

<snip>
Sounds like they have not entirely ruled out giving technical presentations, campgrounds, etc. but only that the BAP Conference will not be at IOUW. However, I am not sure what they mean by the show floor. If they are referring to the exhibits, I am sure that IOUG-A will arrange one.

Glenn Kerr
kerrg_at_timken.com Received on Mon Feb 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message