Re: Now there's to be a Fall Developer's Conference??

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_falcon.inetnebr.com>
Date: 1996/02/13

In <1772BBDBES86.KERRG_at_TIMKEN.COM> KERRG_at_TIMKEN.COM (Glenn Kerr) writes:

>Sounds like they have not entirely ruled out giving technical presentations,
>campgrounds, etc. but only that the BAP Conference will not be at IOUW.
>However, I am not sure what they mean by the show floor. If they are
>referring to the exhibits, I am sure that IOUG-A will arrange one.

I'm not aware of the finances for IOUW, but I can come up with at least two interpretations of that. One is that Oracle has no intention of even having an exhibit on the IOUW show floor. That's not the exhibit I'm there to see anyway, so no major loss there. The other is that they have been subsidizing the floor beyond their own booth and will not be doing that. That could raise the cost for other vendors and users. IOUW is already far and away the most expensive conference I attend, so that could be a problem.

However, I'm inclined to agree with you, at this point IOUW would be my first choice. First of all, it is scheduled closer to the typical time, early November still strikes me as lousy timing. Second, Oracle's Developer conference last year was very poorly organized, and I don't consider 4 weeks adequate notice for this year's conference, in two weeks. Lastly, I'm skeptical of single-vendor-sponsored conferences, there was too much sales pitch from Oracle at IOUW last year anyway. (And not much content in the sales pitches, either.)

--
Mike Nolan